Monday, May 11, 2009

Orkut

Official Website: http://www.orkut.com
Official Blog: http://en.blog.orkut.com/

Now I had heard of Orkut, but I did not realize that it was part of the Google family until preparing for this presentation. So you are asking what exactly is Orkut? So was I and this is the conclusion that I came to after scouring the web for a good definition. Orkut is Google's version of Facebook. I am sure that there are differences, but Orkut is a social networking/community site. A list of the features indicates that shares many of the features of other social networking/community sites. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

I want it to be clear that I don't have any experience with Orkut but my initial impression is this: "Another social networking site? Really?"

It appears that Orkut is written in ASP.NET. I find that interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Orkut is immensely popular outside the US in countries like Brazil, Turkey, and Iran (it's actually been recently blocked in Iran and there's a very active Iranian community that tries to hack through the country's firewall to continue using the site). It's similar to Facebook but has two unresolved issues: the public/privacy settings usually default to public, and they have a large problem with fake users and spam. So, if you want to use Orkut just be certain to change your settings and preferences once you get your account set up.

    ReplyDelete